Friday, October 07, 2005

Recent E-mails:

1. I haven't mentioned it, but N did send me a brief e-mail two weeks ago. She didn't say much, just things like, "Things are a bit crazy for me right now--nothing to do w/ the break-up, just crazy--and so I need some more time w/o contact" and "There's almost too much to say, you know? I feel like for me to go into it, we'd have to have a phone conversation, and I know that's not a good idea for me yet."

I was actually okay with this. She's right. It is easier not to be in contact right now. I took a second to speculate whether the "too much to say" meant she was seeing someone, but mostly thought, 'I'll hear from her in a few months. She sounds busy. That's good. In the meantime, I've got a lot going on.'

2. Two days ago I got an e-mail from a friend in Arizona, saying, "I don't know if you've seen this (or if I should even be pointing it out)." After that was a link to a newspaper article about N.

She's been diagnosed with MS.

When did this happen? Did she know before I left?

"Things are a bit crazy for me right now...There's almost too much to say, you know?"

3. Later that day I got a junk e-mail from Travelocity. Subject Line: "A few reasons to book your trip to Arizona now."

Obviously N wouldn't want me to visit right now, but out of morbid curiosity I opened it up. It was a relief to see that the reasons listed were things like "authentic tamales" and "an arts community as vibrant as a desert sunset" and not "your ex-fiancee has been secretly diagnosed with multiple sclerosis."


Comments:
I read that article, too, and thought that for sure you knew. I'm sorry you had to find out that way. I can only imagine what a strange experience that must be.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?