Tuesday, December 06, 2005


I got a call recently at KunkleCo from an elderly couple trying to get ahold of a Scott Peterson. They clearly had the wrong number. For a while I started to suspect it was a prank call because they seemed almost over-the-top old and crazy but also because of the name Scott Peterson. It's probalby a common enough name, but it's also the name of a man who was convicted of killing his wife.

N had a bit of a fixation on the Peterson saga, and I never really understood how she could watch so many Dateline and Primetime Live shows about women being murdered by the men they loved.

Once, driving back from a trip, exiting the highway, and close to home, she told me that she'd been watching a special about the Peterson trial and they played some recordings of him talking on the phone. "And I realized, he sounds like you."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"The way you talk on the phone, he talked in the same way. There was a similar... quality."

"Wait," I said, "Are you saying you think I'm going to murder you?"

"No," she said, "I know you're not going to murder me."

But as I drove on I could feel her looking at me from the passenger seat, after all these years, still trying to figure me out, like a true-life mystery.


Comments:
Don't have anything particularly on point, but this is currently the most recent post so I'll comment here...

Just got back in touch w/ the forensics team and thought I'd Yahoo! you. After reading your blog, I understand why people (myself included) only write this time of year - much easier to say "happy holidays" than to try and comment on everything/anything in your blog.

Anyway, one of the three underclassmen who wouldn't give you a moment of piece and quiet and had a, in hindsight, unhealthy adoration for you (even moving into the same house you did your senior year (though top floor not bottom) because it was "Arnie's old place") wanted to wish you happy holidays (and to explain why when you check your site tracker there's a link from a yahoo search for Arnie Niekamp).

P.S. I hope you can reject/delete comments - this blog is too popular/interesting and I don't want to bring it down w/ a long, stupid post, but did want to say hi and wish you well.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?