Monday, December 19, 2005


I feel like I've had a holiday party almost every night lately. Last night was one of my favorites: Otis-mas, the natural follow-up to Otis-giving.

Gandy brought rotel. ("It may not seem like holiday food to you, but trust me, where I come from, every FEMA trailer will be serving it.")

Joe [pictured] brought everything we needed to make our own ice cream. Everyone took turns shaking the ice-filled bags, passing them on when their hands got too cold. Soon the bag shaking start to sync up with the music we were listening to (Johnny Cash), taking on a maraca-like quality. An impromptu ice cream-making jam session.

And I wondered, what if making food always made music, and vice versa? After a concert, musicians would turn over their instruments and a freshly prepared feast would tumble out.

The ice cream wasn't that good. But I enjoyed the rotel.


Comments:
...for those of you who are wondering, "rotel" is the term given to a special cheesy dip hand-crafted by gandy. it consists of two very important items: rotel (the brand name for a canned combination of diced tomatoes, chiles and peppers) and velveeta. it is served with tortilla chips or fritos.
 
Rotel is delicious.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?