Wednesday, December 28, 2005


1. This is how I woke up the morning I drove to Hometown, Ohio for Christmas.

At about 8:30am I kept hearing a buzzing noise. Eventually I woke up enough to realize it was an alarm clock. Then I realized it was Young's alarm clock.

I got up to go turn it off. As I walked down the hall to his room, I thought:

"Why is Young's alarm going off?
"He hasn't gone home for Christmas yet.
"He doesn't have to work today.
"It's 8:30 in the morning. He wouldn't be up.
"Why hasn't he turned his alarm off?
"He didn't go out last night.
"Young is dead.
"Young had a heartattack and he's dead.
"I'm going to find Young's dead body laying in bed next to his blaring alarm clock.
"He'll be blue. Would he be blue? He'll be blue.
"This is going to really mess up Christmas."

In truth, he'd woken up early, went out to do laundry and forgotten to turn off his alarm.

2. Driving back to Chicago from southern Illinois after Christmas, Young saw someone have a stroke in a Wendys.

"Everyone kept eating their food. I said, 'Isn't anyone going to help this guy?' and the lady behind the counter was like, 'Well, I already called an ambulance.' And the guy was just there on the ground having a stroke."


Comments:
My favorite part is Young not doing anything either (other than involving the crack Wendy's staff).
 
Arnie,
You are really good at mixing humor with very tragic events. I guess that is life.
I really enjoy your blog.
Jem
 
I've been misrepresented. I got up and helped the man with the guy having the stroke (he was a nurse or a social worker or something) move the stroke victim to the ground and covered him with coats and waited for the ambulance to arrive. I got up from the opposite end of the restaurant while a family of five continued eating and looked annoyed at the stroke victim at the adjoining table.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?