Wednesday, January 04, 2006


The theme of John and Kerry's New Year's Eve party was The Joy of Six (for '06) and everyone was asked to bring a picture of themselves when they were six years old. I didn't bring a picture because I didn't think I had one here in Chicago.

Today I realized I was wrong. I have this picture, taken on my sixth birthday.

(Still, I wouldn't have been able to bring it in because it's laminated into a little book about me made by my late Grandma Dottie. It's called "This Is My Book." I guess it's a very early version of this blog, with pictures and captions. Grandma Dottie wrote the captions from my point of view. Things like, "I'm a good looking young lad," and, "It's hard to keep clean, even if it is Uncle Pat and Aunt Mary's wedding.")

I actually went on television a few days before my sixth birthday. A local show where kids sat on a throne and were interviewed about their birthday while they pulled a handful of pennies out a giant bag. Mom's face was broadcast in a little oval insert on the bottom right corner to show her reactions to the cute things I said. What I said was, "I'm having my birthday party in the basement. I wanted to have it at McDonalds but Mom said it was too expensive."

Mom's coworkers teased her about that for days, and set up a collection plate in the teachers' lounge. Collection plate or no, I did have my first birthday party in the basement, in front of the brick wall that Dad had just recently painted a more convincing shade of red.


Comments:
Too funny. I read your blog often and thought that you may have been from close to my hometown ...the Easter Striker Program was the best.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?