Tuesday, February 14, 2006


I got a bag of Jumbo Red "Cinnamon" Jelly Beans in the mail from Mom for Valentine's Day. Very sweet.

A couple days ago she sent me an e-mail with this at the end:

"i have 2 new girls for [tutoring]. i've thought a great deal about my 4th grader, this week. she said something like, 'i'm the most hated 4th grader in this school. i'm probably the most hated student in this school. it started last year. my last name is hooks and they started calling me hooker. . .' she was saying that she has things thrown at her all day long. . . like crayons hitting the back of her head. kids can be so cruel. with valentines day getting so close, you hope that kids will not do something mean next tuesday. if they don't cancel [the tutoring program] for parties, i might try to give her something small for valentines. it used to break my heart at [the jr. high where I used to teach] when some kids felt so bad that they didn't get a carnation. sometimes i bought carnations for kids and just signed it from their secret friend. . . that would keep them guessing and they were happy. have a great weekend."


Comments:
arnie - just read this, and after just referencing those carnations in my blog, too, i really think your mom sounds like a true gem. there was something really scary about that moment in homeroom, waiting to see if you'd get one or not. so, how nice of her. how sweet. and now i know where mine came from (your mom).

is this an ohio thing?

p.s., your cinnamon treats up there made me laugh, too, because there's so many things in quotes. "here's howe"/"cinnamon", and i can only assume there's more. some guy screamed "here's howe!" once, and now he's quoted on a plastic baggie.

plus, those aren't really cinnamon. it's "cinnamon". be careful!
 
That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. Your mom sounds like one of the good people on this planet.

This is Mike Szeles, Young's friend from Brooklyn, NY. I'm the one who got Young to get the minister license, and now, he'll be able to use it, because I proposed to Mary Cross about three weeks ago.

Great blog. Funny, sometimes sublime and beautiful, often absurd. I've read from the archives from the beginning, and I continue to check it out every day.

Hope you are well. Enjoy the jelly beans. Happy Valentine's Day, and tell Young "hello" from me.

Mike
 
Congrats Mike.

Arnie

PS When I taught in Arizona, they did the carnation thing there too.
 
That might be the sweetest goddamn thing I've ever heard. I remember how much the holiday sucked, if you weren't popular or whatever. Give your mom a thanks from me.
 
good god, hendy. i'm sure your mother is a dear, but what the F?
 
We did carnations in New York as well.
That story...Christ. I think anyone who was moved by that post should send your mother a carnation, or at least a pack of Carnation Instant Breakfast.
P.S. thanks for the SVU-entines! Nothing says I love you like Ice Tea (the man not the beverage) and forensic DNA evidence
 
love your mom!
 
you're mom is truly amazing.


just started reading your blog, on the suggestion of a few friends. It's great.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?