Monday, February 20, 2006


After work on Friday, Chris let slip that every other Friday he does something called LARPing, which is apparently Live Action Role-Playing. He dresses up, goes to an art gallery and pretends to be a vampire pimp named Madison Moore.

Chris: My powers include giving the stigmata and disappearing.
Me: Wait, how do you do that? I mean, at the thing, how do you disappear? Do you just say it?
Chris: There are gestures for everything. If I cross my arms like this, that means I disappear. If I walk around like this no one can see me.

We grilled him on this stuff for over an hour. He was a good sport about it.

Chris: Tonight is sort of a late Valentine's Day Celebration, so I have to bring the food.
Me: You mean real food or...
Chris: No, since I'm a pimp I bring in people for us to feed on. Not really, though. It's part of the story.
Me: Is there ever real food, though?
Chris: Sometimes someone brings pizza.

We kept thinking maybe we should change the subject but we couldn't stop talking about it. Thea claimed she wanted to go. I said I'd consider checking it out after my mustache came in.


Comments:
Hm. Chris is pretty cute for a Nosferatu.

I played LARP a little after college (in the Vampire/Werewolf system, too), and it was fun. It's like improv, only you get to develop your character over time.
 
Hey Arnie, when do we get to see your attempt to growing a moustache?
 
It's a fascinating read for an American living now in Spain...and who hasn't seen Arnie in years...OU, mid-90s...
 
I remember seeing my first LARP game during my first year at U of A. A bunch of dudes in crudely fashioned armor bashing away at each other on the mall. There was a group of about 50 people watching, all with the same perplexed look on their faces, especially during the talking bits, when the LARPers would try to advance whatever kind of story was happening in the game. I guess it's just a natural extension of the culture that brought you Civil War reenactments.

P.S. Is that beer at your co-worker's desk? Is Jellyvision actually and truly that awesome?
 
I remember the LARPers tying up all the university spaces at U of I during the weekends, keeping us from having free spaces to do sketch and improv shows. It was annoying to see Greg Hall Theater occupied solely by two vampires playing paper-rock-scissors to decide their fates.
As frustrating as it was, I kind of admired them for having their shit together and reserving rooms that far in advance.
 
Yeah, sorry about that. (I played at Greg Hall, too).

For what it's worth, I never reserved anything, and would have much rather played where no one else would have seen us.

Oh, and yeah...that's beer at my desk.
 
You guys have keys on your desks!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?