Tuesday, March 14, 2006


Both of my living grandparents are in the hospital right now.

Grandpa Paul, Dad's dad, had a cancerous growth removed. Every day I get forwarded updates that oscillate between "today was a good day for Paul" and "today was a rough day for Paul." Still, the cancer is gone, and although the recovery is slow going, he seems to be doing well.

Grandma Anne (pictured), has been placed in a nursing home by my Uncle Kenny. He claims she has Alzheimer's, which may or may not be true, and that she's suicidal, which is doubtful. Either way, if these things were true, they would definitely benefit Uncle Kenny.

Ever since Grandpa Ralph died Kenny and his family have been taking care of Grandma Anne, checking in on her every day. But they've also slowly cut her off from the world, shoo-ing off her friends and the rest of her family, like backwoods vampires, holding their victim close while they suck it dry. Supposedly it's not an uncommon story among first-born farm sons.

Still, being in a nursing home is probably for the best. The problem is she wants to be in a different nursing home. She could even pay for it, assuming she has access to her own money. Mom and Great Aunt Iva Lou are trying to see what can be done, but Uncle Kenny has power of attorney (and has fought tenaciously to not let my parents share in that power) so the decision is ultimately up to him.


Comments:
That sucks.
 
Hi,
I just started reading your blog a few days ago (and yes, I did start from the beginning) and I wanted to comment earlier but didn't really know what to say.

However, my family went through a similar situation and I just wanted to say that I know how crappy it can be and how helpless it can feel to be the "grandchild" in the situation. I don't really have any advice because I still don't really know how to deal with it in my family (nor do they really) but I just wanted to say that I can sympathize...
 
Yeah, but that power of attorney can always be revoked.
 
There is no "good" or "easy" way to deal with this. Just hope/demand/and fight for what ever might be the most comfortable way for this person to spend thier last years/months/days. I say this because you never know, and greedy offspring usually fuck things up. In my opinion.
 
I don't know what to say.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?