Tuesday, March 21, 2006


Saturday night, I was having some drinks at the Gingerman with Trupe, Hansen and Young when an older gentleman came up and showed us that he had sketched the four of us. "You can have it," he said. "You don't have to pay me anything. Although you can if you want."

We pitched in and gave him a little money even though we hadn't asked to be caricatured.

Looking at the sketch, the middle two are Hansen (talking about Guitar Hero) and Young. That leaves the outside two to be Trupe and I, or maybe Will Ferrell and a young Richard Benjamin. It was finally agreed that the one on the far right is me, because I sometimes make that expression, and I apparently have flipper arms.

Later, across the street at Wrigleyville Dogs, we ran into the sketch artist again. This time, instead of quietly sketching people, he was staring off into space and loudly proclaiming things like, "what if I told you I had the secret to saving your eternal soul," and, "there are so many ways to betray God." His voice sounded pre-recorded and involuntary.

We decided to ignore him as best as possible, but soon he was staring directly at our table, saying, "judgment and jokes at the expense of others will be like ashes in your mouth."


Comments:
please know this....and beleive this....i have a sketch from over two years ago by the same guy. except he WROTE a bunch of stuff on the back of ours that is CREEEEEPY....but same mumbling and what not. same art style.

that is crazy. I'm going home to find it and maybe post it on my blog and then the universe will certainly implode.
 
There's a reason some caricature artists work in large state fairs or on Venice Beach and some toil in bars guilting their subjects into a bit of spare change.
 
Hey Arnie,
what a cool story. i would have thought the far left caricature was you.
 
Actually, you mistakenly got the sketch of the guys at the table next to yours, who were, left to right, Lou Ferrigno, Kato Kaelin, Vince Gill and Ron Livingston from "Office Space."
 
I can see how the far left could be you or Trupe. The one on the right looks like niether one of you.
 
In the artist's defense, my hair was kind of droopy that night, and Trupe was constantly in the cartoon pre-run away pose.
 
even in a caricature, young's hair looks amazing.
 
"Young" looks like that character actor from "Numbers" and various teen comedies.
 
That actor is young David Krumholtz. How do I know that? I was his camp counselor in 1986. He was 8. I was, uh, older.
JRC
 
My final answer: from left to right:

Oded Fehr, Kato (spot-on), David Krumholtz, Robert Forster
 
Sketch artist did capture my smoldering eyes perfectly.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?