Tuesday, March 28, 2006


During a meeting at work today I noticed that Mary had scribbled a heart followed by two plus signs on her notepad. I asked her about it and she explained that once she had seen a white heart spray painted on an interstate overpass. A year later she saw a plus had been added to it. A year later, another plus. She said that she likes to imagine the same man comes back each year to mark how his love has grown. Heart plus plus. I wonder if it's a lovesick graffiti-prone computer programmer.

Mary seems to have recently come out of a long period of not being able to get over her ex-boyfriend, who is a magician. Literally, a magician, as in "pick a card, any card" magician. "I'm tired of the hearing jokes about him doing a disappearing act." This went on for a long time. "I just can't get over him."

Last week, though, she went on a juice fast, quit cigarettes and started a whirlwind romance with a wealthy ex-football player. "I'm jumping in feet first. We had a moment where we looked into each other's eyes and said, 'yes'."

The new writers took turns congratulating and teasing her about it.

Mary: He's big. And he told me that if I needed it, he could hurt any man for me. All I'd have to do is point at them and he'd go to jail if he had to.
Me: That's healthy. There couldn't be any downside to that, personality-wise.
Mary: Don't make me point at you.


Comments:
I like Mary, we need more posts about Mary.
 
Mary has a blog all her own. There's a link on my front page. If you're jonesing for more Mary, I'm sure she'd love it if you went and read some of her stuff.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?