Wednesday, April 12, 2006


Brett: (via e-mail) So I hope this isn't out of line, but you have seriously got to stop calling _____ "The Girl" in your blog. Or at least never call her "the girl I'm dating" again. Seriously. if you haven't already, you will definitely hear about it.

I've gotten a lot of suggestions about this in the comment section of this site. People have recommended the pseudonyms Helen, Anastasia, Babs and O.

I got an e-mail from my friend, Alice, in Arizona who is a traveling nurse and helped me out a lot after my gall bladder surgery. She wrote, "i too, think she should at the very least have a pseudonym that is not "the girl". i like "Tina". that's a nice fake name. it's sassy and simple. is your girlfriend sassy and simple?"

I IM-ed the girl herself and asked her what she thinks I should call her.

Girl: Well, the boring choice would be _. Do you already have a _? Babe, I don't really want ANYTHING from your blog, I just want to read it. So I don't care what I'm called, just as long as you call me sweet things in person.
Me: Okay, Shitbox it is then.

As C might say, who gets to decide what a legitimate identity is, anyway? Here, on this blog, I guess I do. For now she will remain, affectionately, the girl.

Happy semi-anniversary Shitbox.


Comments:
I thought also that "the Girl" was not the best choice...
no I guess you've outdone yourself.
 
Two points:

One, Helen is off limits.
Two, "the girl" actually works for me. If anything, I'd argue that unlike letter-exes, she has a special status which deserves the definitive. There is no other girl...there is HER.

And fake names are insulting.
 
I also find "The Girl" endearing. My last boyfriend called me Zombie, though.
 
I think "The Girl" sounds a bit dismissive, almost disdainful. It almost gives me the same shivers as when I hear someone refer to their wife as "Woman." It almost feels like you're calling her the Ol' Ball and Chain. But, if she's ok with it, or doesn't care, then it's a moot point. Just know that I know that you are a raging misogynist.
 
I think you're not open enough. I think you need to put her real full name, address, photo, place of work, times she's not at home, outline of housekey and underwear size. If you're not open on this blog, when are you?
 
my huzz calls me "me too". all the time. like in real conversations, e-mail, all the time. It started a few months ago for no real reason at all. it confuses everyone when I explain it to them so I just don't. I like it and so does he. If the girl is cool with her moniker in here then the girl is cool. I like her already.
 
That's funny, my sister's name is Shitbox. Small world!
 
In Ireland, they often refer to their other halves as "himself" or herself," as in "I call herself 'shitbox.'"
 
This is as good a time as any to tell you, Stonelake, that I am dating your sister.
 
How 'bout naming her after her hometown? Or favorite cartoon character? Something with a bit more pizzaz...
 
I knew it!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?