Friday, April 21, 2006


I was recently reading my co-worker Mary's blog and noticed she ended an entry with the words, "My life is perfect." That sentence really struck me as a bold statement and something I could never imagine myself writing. Not that my life is bad, or even, frankly, that I think my life isn't as good as Mary's, just that a claim like that seems to be tempting fate a bit. It's the kind of thing someone would say in a movie trailer right before everything goes into slow motion, fades to black and is followed by the sound of something horrible in the dark.

Then again, Mary ended a different entry with "The shawl is perfect" and maybe I just have a problem with the whole concept. I remember playing a party game years ago where people would answer questions about themselves and everyone else would try to guess how they perceived themselves.

One of the questions was, "How good of a listener are you on a scale of 1 to 10?"

I considered the person who got this question a very good listener so I gave them an 8. Their answer: I'm a 10.

This blew my mind. A 10? What kind of maniac ranks himself as a 10 for anything? Is 10 even an attainable number? Most of all, if you consider yourself a perfect listener, you're probably not a good listener at all.

I know that this is really my own hang-up, and not necessarily a flaw in Mary's thinking or Listener 10 (although... 10?! that's clearly nuts, right?). Truth be told, perfection frightens me.

That said, my life is going pretty well. I'd give it an 8.


Comments:
Okay... a 7. But that's really very good.
 
When I was an assistant editor at the Arizona Daily Wildcat, I remember getting incensed that one of my writers wanted to give a mediocre record a 10 our of 10 in a review. "What?! That's impossible! You mean nothing on this album could possibly be better? You mean all music from here on out will be judged by the impossibly high standard set by ... this???" After I talked them down to an 8, they pulled the same shit two weeks later. Another editor and myself changed the rating without telling the writer.
 
A 7 out of 10 is like a high "D"?! You're life is better than a high "D". I get a 7. Or maybe a six. I'd give you a 9. Maybe a 9 minus.
 
I think my life is about eight points behind yours.
 
A 9 minus, Young? I'm not independantly wealthy... or Drake Bell.
 
I don't know. 7 is a C. Like 90-100% is an A(or like 93-100% is an A). So a 7. Is that a 7.5? Or a 7.0?

7 is C range, depending on what tenth range we're talkin'. That's average.

My life right now is a 10. Not that it's perfect without flaws. But it's up and down and liveable and dark and weird and I'm makin' money and I am with a woman who I am so lucky to have found and I have great friends but I don't see them all the time but, you know, that's life.

My life was a -4 for a while, emotionally. For about a year. Emotionally, mentally, career-wise. Or it was more like a 3.2. Now it's perfectly imperfect. Or imperfectly perfect.

Or whatever the fuck. I still think Young needs to get the hair back.

Oh. And Arnie. Very good blog lately. I'd give it a 8.5. And that is VERY good.
 
Speaking of closing lines, I preferred "Happy Anniversary, Shitbox!" But hey, nobody's perfect.
 
Arnie, dear.

My life is perfect. It is a 10. This is not to say it is without hardship. Perfection, to me, is balance. I feel pretty balanced. I've got some stuff that's not quite right, but that is in balance with all the stuff that is right.

Perfection is creepy if you view it as pure good. That's just not natural. I'm grateful for all of it. Past pains and future disappointments. Those are opportunities to grow.

Who's to say what is good and what is bad?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?