Tuesday, May 09, 2006


Coming home from work yesterday, I saw police tape blocking off a seemingly empty patch of sidewalk next to my building. Then I realized that there was a possum perched on a fence in the middle of it. No police officers, no animal control people, not even any gawkers, besides the girl and me. Just a wild animal and some police tape.

The girl said, "When an animal comes out like this in the day, it means it's about to die."

It just sat there like the world's most pitiful King Kong.

"What's going on?" an exceptionally happy man asked after crossing the street.

"A possum."

"Well what do you know," he said, smiling, and then stepped into the adult video store.


Comments:
but the police tape was unrelated to the possum, right? Or is the possum on the run from the law?
regardless the girl's comment made me feel so sad. I think she's right about that too. Poor daytime possum.
 
This might be my favorite entry you've ever written.
 
that is such a neat photo.
 
is that true about them coming outside to die in the daylight? wow, that's sad. why is that so sad to me? i hate this post. (i hate feeling.)
 
The exceptionally happy man totally made me laugh.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?