Saturday, May 06, 2006


I called Grandma Anne today to wish her a happy 83rd birthday. Things seem to be a bit better. She's in a bigger room now, out of the Alzheimer's unit. Julie and Sherry visited her and took her out to lunch. She also played bingo.

Grandma: I won a little bag of chips. I gave them to Julie's little boy.
Me: That was your prize. You should have kept it.
Grandma: Oh hell, he needed 'em more than I did.

We talked a while longer and then it seemed like time to get off the phone. "Well," I said, "I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I should get going. I love you. I'm going to try to come out and visit some time soon. And I'll call soon too. It was good talking to you."

There was a long pause and I wasn't sure if I should hang up, because she hadn't responded. Finally she said, "Those were good times... when I would come over and you were little. They went by so fast."


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?