Sunday, May 14, 2006


Made calls to Grandma Anne and Mom today.

Grandma: Kenny took me to the house so I could get some of my clothes. They're not doing a very good job with the lawn. I guess it's not my business anymore. I'll probably never go back there again.

I took this picture at Grandma's farm house back in August. It's two pictures of my mom.

Mom and Grandma Anne have had a strained relationship over the last few years, largely due to Kenny, but lately Mom has jumped back into the fray to help make Grandma's living situation as nice as possible.

The latest battle is letting Grandma have any kind of money of her own. She has plenty of money in the bank, but Kenny will only let her have $15 of it. So there she sits in a nursing home room with only $15 to spend on anything for who knows how long.

Mom: I was out there for a meeting with Kenny last week and I mentioned that the nursing home has little bank accounts for the patients. I said it in front of the doctor and shamed Kenny into opening one for Grandma. He opened a $50 account for her. I went back the next day to check that he'd actually done it. I put another $50 of my money in there and told her it was for her birthday. So now she has a little something.

It seems to me that mothers and grandmothers are people who are always slipping a few dollars (or religious trinkets) into your pocket or suitcase, saying, "shhh, just take it" or often, without you even knowing it, like a guardian angel with a five dollar bill. The idea of mothers and grandmothers doing this for each other is both wonderful and sad.

Happy Mother's Day.


Comments:
How does Kenny have control over Grandma's money if she is of sound mind? That's not legally possible.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?